MSO8867 - Lime Kilns at Brendon Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
ST 0199 3415. Two limekilns, Brendon Hill. For details see county SMR.  The limekilns described by the previous authority were seen as stone foundations and mapped from aerial photographs. A trackway connects the limekilns to the road to the south east, and on the north side of the kilns is an embankment, which presumably had a siding on it in order to link the kilns with the West Somerset Mineral Railway. The limekilns situation suggests they were in operation at the same time as surrounding ironstone mining in the second half of the nineteenth century. [2,3] Derelict lime kilns located to the west side of the Bampton Road Stores site.  'Old Limekilns' printed on the Ordnance Survey first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1888. A railway siding ran to the kilns from the top of the incline but this is not depicted. [5,9] They survive in good condition. A well developed track leads southwards from the kilns to the road, presumably used for transporting raw materials and final product. 
- <1> SEM7142 Collection: Somerset County Council. 2009. Somerset County Council Historic Environment Record. 33416.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70387 499-500 25-SEP-1970.
- <3> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <4> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.37.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7035 Report: Croft, R.A.. 1992. The West Somerset Mineral Railway Research Design. p5.
- <7> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 58(3).
- <8> SSO1643 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" ST03SW.
- <9> SSO1911 Monograph: Sellick R. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. 31.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0200 3413 (49m by 86m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975391 (Original Monarch entry: 975391)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO435
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11118
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW27
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975391
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33416
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.