MSO8848 - Bronze Age barrow now under Wimbleball Reservoir (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
At SS 9737 3163 in a field called 'Burrow Mead'  there is a spread grass covered mound 0.6m high with a rather indefinite perimeter. It has presumably been spread during the demolition of a field bank which formerly enclosed the mound on the north and east. The situation is low lying, but in view of the field name the mound is possibly a barrow. Surveyed at 1:2500.  SS 9737 3163. Brompton Regis 5. Possible barrow listed with reference to . (This site is now covered by Wimbleball Reservoir). [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <2>XY SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 20 August 1965. [Mapped feature: #47943 ]
- <3> SSO1220 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset barrows, part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 28.
- <4> SSO1459 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1982. 1:10000 sheet SS93SE.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36685, Extant 4 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 9737 3163 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36685 (Original Monarch entry: 36685)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11088
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE3
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36685
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33385
Record last edited
May 4 2022 12:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.