MSO8845 - Cutcombe Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 96493571) Cutcombe Barrow (NR).  Brompton Regis No.1, a bowl barrow 23 paces diameter and 3.5 ft. high.  This is a bowl barrow 1.3 m. high. Surveyed at 1/2500.  SS 96503571. Brompton Regis 1. Cutcombe Barrow listed, details as . Visited by Grinsell 10th May 1952. He suspects that the name Cutcombe Barrow may possibly have been originated by the Ordnance Survey during the original survey of 1790-1810 for convenience of reference. It is named Western Barrow on the 1838 tithe map (but the present name appears on OS 1" first edition 1809).  The barrow known as Cutcombe Barrow lies at the edge of a pasture field, and measures 22 m in diameter and 1.7 m high. It comprises a smoothed grass covered mound. On its eastern side the hedgebank clips the edge of the barrow and several large quartz blocks are visible on the ground.  The remains of the Bronze Age bowl barrow described by the previous authorities was seen as an earthwork and mapped from aerial photographs. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. W Somer Barrows Mss (L V Grinsell).
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JP 25-AUG-65.
- <4> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 28.
- <5> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 7 July 98 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1944/2150 23-JAN-1947.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SMR 969 9673 05-NOV-1981.
- <8> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <9> SSO260 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 97. 8782.
- <10> SSO157 Aerial photograph: 04.03.93. DAP VU 27.
- <11> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3339.
- <12> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9635.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9649 3571 (36m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36624 (Original Monarch entry: 36624)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO199
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11080
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE11
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36624
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33377
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.