MSO8745 - Bronze Age burial cairn east of Old Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 8425 3247 . A prehistoric barrow is visible as a circular turf covered mound measuring 13.9 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. It has suffered from disturbance on its northern side from robbing. There is also a hollow 3.1 metres by 1.6 metres by 0.4 metres deep at its centre.  SS 84262 32488. A low, grass covered, stony mound, 13.9 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high, lies on the east side of Old Barrow Down, close to the enclosure bank. A hollow in the centre, 3 metres long, 1.1 metres wide and 0.3 metres deep, may be the result of an unrecorded antiquarian excavation or robbing of stone for the nearby enclosure bank. This is a prehistoric funerary cairn, part of the Bronze Age ceremonial landscape on the summits of Old Barrow Down and Hawkridge Plain. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1995.
- <2>XY SEM8544 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Halscombe Allotments, Humber's Ball, Hawkridge Plain & Old Barrow Down, Withypool & Hawkridge, Exmoor. HWH17013, p6-7. [Mapped feature: #44475 Burial cairn, HWH17013]
|Grid reference||SS 8426 3248 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1052130 (Pastscape entry: 1052130)
- http://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/35545 (Somerset HER entry: 35545)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12356
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17013
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW41
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1052130
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35545
Record last edited
May 12 2018 10:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.