MSO8740 - Barrow, South West of Portford Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 828342. Barrow south-west of Portford Bridge found by H Eardley-Wilmot. Circa 4m diameter, 1.25m high with exterior ditch and bank on south and south-east. Disturbed on east side. (1) No trace of a barrow was found at the NGR cited. However, the description given by Hazel Eardley-Wilmot corresponds with SS 83 SW 48 which lies some 200m to the south-east. It seems likely therefore that the NGR given for this site is incorrect, and that 17 and 48 are one and the same. (2)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29 SEP 1986.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Correspondence H Eardley-Wilmot Aug 1980.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Correspondence H Eardley-Wilmot 4 Jul 1982.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North, WR 2-Feb-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 828 342 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1051595 (Pastscape entry: 1051595)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1051595
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34316
Record last edited
Jan 13 2011 9:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.