MSO8740 - Possible Bronze Age barrow southwest of Portford Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 828 342. Barrow southwest of Portford Bridge found by H Eardley-Wilmot. Circa 4 metres diameter, 1.25 metres high with exterior ditch and bank on south and southeast. Disturbed on east side. [1-3] No trace of a barrow was found at the National Grid Reference cited. However, the description given by Hazel Eardley-Wilmot corresponds with MSO11748 which lies some 200 metres to the southeast. It seems likely therefore that the National Grid Reference given for this site is incorrect, and that both are one and the same. 
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Correspondence H Eardley-Wilmot Aug 1980.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Correspondence H Eardley-Wilmot 4 Jul 1982.
- <3>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34316. [Mapped feature: #30635 ]
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 February 1995.
|Grid reference||SS 828 342 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1051595 (Pastscape entry: 1051595)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1051595
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34316
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 9:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.