MSO11748 - Bronze Age round barrow southwest of Portford Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Barrow at SS 828 342 c.4 metres diameter, 1.25 metres high with exterior ditch and bank on south and southeast. Disturbed on east side.  National Grid Reference corrected to SS 8299 3411. Prehistoric cairn measuring 11 metres in diameter. It has been extensively robbed and survives as a stony rim of material. A central, sharply defined conical mound 4.2 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high may represent residual cairn material, but is more likely to a be a later dump associated with agricultural improvement. 
- <1> SSO1055 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 00.08.80. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council 00.08.80 - discovery.
- <2> SSO1057 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 04.07.82. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council 04.07.82 - site visit.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 February 1995. [Mapped feature: #47181 ]
|Grid reference||SS 8299 3411 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8751
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1052146
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34316
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 9:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.