MSO8729 - Slade Barn, northeast of Zeal Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 8555 3021 is an outfarm with a bank barn annotated by the Ordnance Survey as 'Slade Barn' , after the deserted farmstead site to the east (MSO8679). The barn lies on the top edge of a small, rectilinear enclosure. The barn is cut into the bank to the north of the enclosure such that the higher, northern side is entered by the upper story. On this side there is a large entrance in the centre with no lintel before it reaches the roof, and a small window to one side. The lower side is entered from the small enclosure. On this side there are two arched entrances (of the same design as MSO8728). Above these at the same level as the upper entrance is another arched opening, which has been blocked up using breeze blocks. To either side of the entrances is a small window. [1,2] The site is depicted and labelled "Slade Barn" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The barn and enclosure are not shown on the Tithe Map for Hawkridge, suggesting it post dates this survey. 
- <1> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000. SS 83 SE.
- <2> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 February 1995.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #47154 ]
- <4> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8554 3020 (32m by 39m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1028673 (Pastscape entry: 1028673)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12574
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE49
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1028673
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35781
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 10:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.