MSO8679 - Slade Farmstead, southwest of Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The deserted medieval farmstead of Slade, at SS857302, was indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy by the entry of Nicholas atte Slade? (1) The 1841 Tithe Map indicates an estate of 36 acres, and the site of a building is shown at Slade. (2) The farmstead of Slade is shown and named, at SS 85703010, on the 1809 Ordnance Survey map. (3) The remains of a deserted farmstead lie on the south facing slope between Dane's Brook and Slade Lane, centred at SS 85643012, above Slade Bridge. The site presently consists of an area of earthworks and stone banks upslope of a leat leading to a spring towards the centre of the field. The field has other more slight earthworks resulting from the removal of hedge banks. The remains in the field are quite amorphous with a platformed area 31.4 metres by 10.4 metres, cut up to 2 metres deep into the slope at the eastern end. The length of the platform is divided roughly into four areas by rows of raised ground, which appear to correspond to walls. At the eastern end there is an easing which leads directly down towards the spring. The medieval site of Slade farm appears to have been inhabited, if perhaps not continuously, until some time between 1841 (2) and 1887 (4), by which time it is no longer shown. It is suggested that it was deserted later rather than earlier during this time span (5). (6)
- <1> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. P.93, 102.
- <2> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SSO1423 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map. 1:63,360.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1887. Somerset Sheet 56:11.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Lock, T., The Old Post Office, Hawkridge, Dulverton.
- <6> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Chapman, H.P. 09/02/1995.
- <7> SSO1864 Survey: RCHME. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 83 SE 16. 1995.
- <8> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. P.178.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8567 3014 (144m by 124m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35797 (Pastscape entry: 35797)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11765
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35797
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34334
Record last edited
May 12 2018 8:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.