MSO8721 - Late medieval or post-medieval field system at Withypool Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
This site is comprised of banks which form rectangular enclosures, with evidence of ploughing. [1-7] A field system is recorded by on the south side of the valley of the River Barle. The field system covers an area of appoximately 60 hectares. It consists of both straight and sinuous field banks and areas of ridging, and seems to represent short lived attempts to exploit this area. The date of the field system is uncertain, but is most likely to be late medieval or post-medieval.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8035-8037, 8132, 8135-8137, 8231-8232, 8234-8237, 8331-8334.
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . HSL/UK/71-17, 83, 9311 (September 1971).
- <3> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . ENP MAM IRFC 12/061 (May 1977).
- <4> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . LHL CPE/UK/1980 3361, 3363, 3364, 4360, 4358 and 4362 (April 1947).
- <5> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . HSL/UK/71-178, 83, 9309 (September 1971).
- <6> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . HSL/UK/71-178, 85, 9326 (September 1971).
- <7>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 1979-85. [Mapped feature: #40730 ]
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 November 1995.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974499, Extant 27 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 81 35 (2419m by 1296m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974499 (Original Monarch entry: 974499)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11747
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW48
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974499
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34315
Record last edited
Jul 27 2021 11:45AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.