MMO3043 - Medieval or post-medieval field system northwest of Brightworthy Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Former field boundary banks, potentially of medieval origin, can be seen on aerial photographs as earthworks and levelled earthworks to the west of Brightworthy, centred on circa SS 8273 3597. The removed or relict boundaries clearly form part of the wider field system associated with Brightworthy, and may have been laid out as a coherent system encroaching onto Withypool Common. Those boundaries transcribed on the relatively gentle slopes to the west of Brightworthy might been removed to increase field size and productivity, probably in the later post-medieval period. In contrast, those on the steeper slopes above the River Barle may be evidence for failed or abandoned enclosure of the former commons. Most of the transcribed boundaries have been levelled by the 1970s. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 3421-22 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4360-1 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 68041 003-7 (9 June 1968).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 813-4 (17 April 1973).
- <5>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #42334 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488521, Extant 23 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8280 3594 (802m by 348m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488521 (Pastscape entry: 1488521)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW142
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488521
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 9:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.