MSO8675 - Medieval churchyard cross in St Giles Churchyard, Hawkridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
In Hawkridge churchyard at SS 8611 3063 are the remains of a medieval cross comprising a socket stone and a small stump of shaft. The socket stone is square at the bottom, with sides of 0.7 metres, it reduces to an octagon with broached corners. (See GP AO/65/186/6). Surveyed at 1:2500. [1,2] SS83SE WITHYPOOL CP HAWKRIDGE 18/162 Remains of churchyard about 7 metres south of porch, Church of St Giles GV II Remains of churchyard cross. Medieval. Local stone. Socket only with broached corners and about 150 millimetres of stump of shaft. Not mentioned in Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877. Listed for historic interest.  The base of a medieval cross lies 7 metres south of the porch of the Church of St Giles, in line with the entrance way. It is 0.5 metres tall and 0.7 metres square at the bottom. About half way up the corners have been broached, thereby creating an octagonal top with faces 0.3 metres wide. In the centre on top of the stone is a square hole with sides of 0.3 metres. Set into the hole with lead is a fragment of stone, presumably the remains of a cross.  The cross base is made from local stone and was unearthed by gravediggers at least one generation ago.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A. 
- <1> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. GH Pitcher, 19 August 1965.
- <2> SMO1415 Photograph: Pitcher, S.. 1965. CHURCHYARD CROSS AT WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE. OS65/F186/6. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: West Somer Dist (Exford et al) (2 January 1986) 86.
- <4> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 January 1995.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Tom Lock, Hawkridge.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||SS 8611 3063 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35780 (Original Monarch entry: 35780)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/18/162
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10794
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE7
- National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 35780
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34289
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 4:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.