MSO8630 - St Bartholomew's Church, Rodhuish (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(ST 01213959) St Bartholomew's Church (C of E) (NAT).  Chapel of ease formerly in Carhampton CP, now parish church. The church is 15th century in date. It was restored 1826 when the roof was also repaired. The church restored was restored again in 1924 and refitted in the mid 20th century. There is an 18th century panelled west end gallery, 19th century pine pews and two late 16th-early 17th century carved chairs, with religious scenes possibly depicting the departure of the Prodigal Son and Christ blessing Mary Magdelene. There is a carved wooden aumbry that is possibly early 16th century in date. The Norman circular pedestal font was moved from Carhampton Church in the 19th century. The reredos which has carved angel terminals was created by Rachel Reckett in 1961 and the font cover, sconces and candelabra by Jim Horrobin 1971. The 19th century altar rails are said to have come from a church in Weston-Super-Mare. (Photograph in NMR).  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000.
- <2> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <3> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. P. 77.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 188393, Extant 30 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0121 3959 (61m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188393 (Pastscape entry: 188393)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=568 (CHER ID: 601487)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/12/110
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601487
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10621
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11710
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 188393
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34272
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31097
Record last edited
May 30 2022 12:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.