MSO8630 - St Bartholomew's Church and Churchyard, Rodhuish (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(ST 01213959) St Bartholomew's Church (C of E) (NAT).  Chapel of ease formerly in Carhampton CP, now parish church. The church is 15th century in date. It was restored 1826 when the roof was also repaired. The church restored was restored again in 1924 and refitted in the mid 20th century. There is an 18th century panelled west end gallery, 19th century pine pews and two late 16th-early 17th century carved chairs, with religious scenes possibly depicting the departure of the Prodigal Son and Christ blessing Mary Magdelene. There is a carved wooden aumbry that is possibly early 16th century in date. The Norman circular pedestal font was moved from Carhampton Church in the 19th century. The reredos which has carved angel terminals was created by Rachel Reckett in 1961 and the font cover, sconces and candelabra by Jim Horrobin 1971. The 19th century altar rails are said to have come from a church in Weston-Super-Mare. (Photograph in NMR).  Graveyard in use since at least medieval times.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000.
- <2> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 10 December 1976.
- <4> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. P. 77.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0121 3959 (61m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188393 (Pastscape entry: 188393)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=568 (CHER ID: 601487)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/12/110
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601487
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10621
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11710
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188393
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34272
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31097
Record last edited
Jun 9 2020 11:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.