MSO8551 - West Nethercote Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse, now dwelling. Late medieval, enlarged C16, enlarged and restored late C20. Local stone random rubble, low pitched slate roof hipped to right, external stone stack left gable end, lateral stack on south front. Plan: open hall house ceilied and enlarged one bay east forming 3-cell and cross passage with C20 addition west end. Two storeys, 5 bays, all C20 casements, stair projection between third and fourth bays left entrance second bay left. Rear elevation 4-light octagonal mullioned window ground floor second bay right. Interior: not seen, said to contain evidence of jointed cruck truss roof with smoke blackening, shouldered wooden door frame to right of cross passage opening into hall with large lateral beam and smaller axial beams south side with rafters, pyramid stops, evidence of trap door to upper storey, unusual bench end similar to that at Withycombe Cottage (qv) set into rebuilt bench; lateral beams in east end room with step and runout stops and similar to chamfered wooden lintel. The hall appears to have been ceiled in 2 stages. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, July 1979).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265560. First Listed on 06/04/1959.  Open hall. Stone, Random rubble walls. Cruck, Hipped roof  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 873 361 (28m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524730 (Pastscape entry: 524730)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/13/146
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10267
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 45611
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524730
- Somerset SMR PRN: 17514
Record last edited
Dec 10 2020 11:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.