MSO8358 - Military Camp on Treborough Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A World War II military camp was seen as cropmarks and mapped from aerial photographs. The camp, centred at ST 0045 3504 covers an area 450 metres long by 320 metres wide.  The area in question is now improved pasture, and was not enclosed until after 1947. There appears to be no remains of the camp, which was probably mostly tented accommodation: it was an American army camp, occupied for a short time prior to the D-day landings in 1944. Immediately to the North-East of the triangular pillar on the Common at ST 0048 3512 is a rectangular water tank which presumably postdates the military activity.  The camp is visible on aerial photographs from 1946 and consists of a roughly rectangular enclosed area surrounded by a temporary wall or low bank. Within the enclosure, parch marks from eight double rows of circular tents can be distinguished, with roads or paths between each row. Several larger, rectangular structures can also be seen which may have been shower blocks or similar. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. CPE/UK/1944 3145-3146. 23/01/1947.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley, H. 1998.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 3322-23. 11/07/1946 106G/UK/1655 3322-23. 11/07/1946.
- <4> SMO7560 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 03 NW. MD002177.
- <5> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <6> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 0035, 0135.
- <7> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3332.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0048 3506 (461m by 403m)|
|Civil Parish||TREBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1164991 (Original Monarch entry: 1164991)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1114
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11645
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW53
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1164991
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34146
Record last edited
Jul 26 2021 4:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.