MSO8322 - Late 19th or early 20th Century ruined building northwest of Fernhill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
At SS 9239 4114, some 80 metres to the northwest of Fernhill (MSO10234), are the slight remains of a rectangular building. It comprises an area of stone rubble measuring 10.6 metres by 5.8 metres and 0.4 metres high. It seems to have been used as a dump for later field clearance. The building is of unknown date and function. It may be associated with Fernhill, or equally may be an isolated field barn.  The northeastern extent of the structure is also visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards for circa 6 metres. It was transcribed from the aerial photographs during the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. [2,3] The building is not depicted on the Tithe Map for Luccombe, nor on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [4,5] The remains are visible on the 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force. This may suggest a late 19th or early 20th Century date for the structure. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 July 1997.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3230-1 (11 April 1947).
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #39981 ]
- <4> SSO292 Map: Collard Cox, W.. 1841. Luccombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9239 4114 (9m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1087543 (Original Monarch entry: 1087543)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO546
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10235
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW93
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1087543
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16288
Record last edited
Jul 28 2020 5:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.