MSO10234 - Fernhill, Timberscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
"Fernhill" is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 25 inch mapping of 1888. A single, roofed rectangular building is depicted with an adjacent rectangular area - either an unroofed building or yard. To the immediate northwest is a large pond. Several coniferous trees are also depicted.  The remains of Fernhill are centred at SS 9246 4110. They comprise the southeast angle of the ruined building, which stands to about 1.8 metres high. To the northwest, the second rectangular area is just discernible as low walls or revetting. The pond is water filled and is now used as a beast pond. On its lower (northern) side is a substantial dam 1.6 metres high, with a modern breach through it. Traces of a leat are also visible here, and it seems that the pond may have acted as a header for an irrigation system. It is not clear whether Fernhill was ever a dwelling or served simply as an outfarm. Some 80 metres to the northwest is a further ruined building (MSO8322) which may well be associated with this complex.  Fernhill is also depicted on the Tithe Map for Luccombe. It is depicted in the same L shaped arrangment with pond and labelled 869a, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Barn Linhay and Pond in Fernhill Meadow", owned by Francis Pearse Esq and occupied by William Bowering. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 46(3).
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 July 1997.
- <3> SSO292 Map: Collard Cox, W.. 1841. Luccombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 869a.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9245 4111 (39m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8321
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW92
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1087528
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16287
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 9:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.