MSO8319 - 19th Century clearance cairns west of West Harwood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 25 inch mapping shows at least five areas of surface stone in the corners of several fields to the west of West Harwood.  The farmer at North Hawkwell states that these features are stone clearance heaps, which were in use earlier this century.  These features were not systematically investigated. However, examples survive at SS 9285 4082 and SS 9292 4031. They comprise massive stone heaps about 3.5 metres high, and are probably associated with either the enclosing of Harwood Brakes or its subsequent improvement. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 46(3).
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Information from farmer, North Hawkwell..
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 July 1997. [Mapped features: #46616 ; #46617 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9288 4056 (70m by 510m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1087506 (Pastscape entry: 1087506)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10232
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW90
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1087506
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16285
Record last edited
Jul 28 2020 9:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.