MSO8319 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" mapping shows at least five areas of surface stone in the corners of several fields to the west of West Harwood. (1) The farmer at North Hawkwell states that these features are stone clearance heaps, which were in use earlier this century. (2) These features were not systematically investigated. However, examples survive at SS 9285 4082 and SS 9292 4031. They comprise massive stone heaps about 3.5 m high, and are probably associated with either the enclosing of Harwood Brakes or its subsequent improvement. (3)
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" mapping 1888. Somerset sheet XLVI.3.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Information from farmer, North Hawkwell..
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 23 July 97 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9288 4056 (85m by 534m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1087506 (Pastscape entry: 1087506)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW90
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1087506
Record last edited
Sep 17 2009 12:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.