MSO8317 - 19th or 20th Century waterwheel at West Harwood Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A wheel pit, 20 foot by 3 foot, together with the remains of hatch control is visible. It had an overshot wheel and from the position of the bearings it was rim geared. The water must have been brought across the lane by a flume but there is no sign of it.  The GIS data for the Exmoor National Park HER for this record was created in 18 October 2011, recording a polygon centred at SS 9327 4026. It is not clear whether this is based on the data previously imported from the Somerset HER or is based on other sources.  There is no structure in this location on the Tithe Map for Timberscombe, which shows the site as a wide lane at the meeting point of two routeways to the farmstead to the northeast.  The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts a linear subdivided building at SS 9327 4026, the length of which abuts the lane on its southeastern elevation. It is not labelled. One of the routeways shown on  has been diverted to the north to avoid the building.  The building at least partially appears to be shown on the 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 23 November 1977.
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 18 November 2019.
- <3> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 932 402 (40m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086640 (Pastscape entry: 1086640)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11626
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW56
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086640
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34126
Record last edited
Jul 28 2020 9:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.