MSO8142 - Combe Sydenham (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[ST 0762 3675] Combe Sydenham (NR).  Combe Sydenham Manor House, supposedly built 1315  is an 'L'-shaped mainly Elizabethan building, with a tower set in the inner angle, and the date 1580 over the porch which also carried the marriage arms of John Sydenham c. 1430. Other features are 15th Century, as also are the farm buildings in front of the house. [2,3] This interesting house has had many alterations so that much of its Elizabethan character has been lost. See AO/65/64/4  and GP/AO/65/66/647.  ST03NE STOGUMBER CP COMBE SYDENHAM 5/158 Combe Sydenham 22.5.69 GV I Manor house. Late C15-early C16, porch added 1580 to South front, West front refenestrated, at least 2 stair turrets added 1580 or circe 1630-40, another stair inserted in angle turret circa 1800, South front refenestrated and buildings to North and East demolished, C19 West wing and possibly South wing reroofed. Roughcast over rubble, moulded plinth, Ham stone ashlar porch, slate roof hipped to left. The daughter of Sir George Sydenham, who enlarged the house, married Sir Francis Drake. See DEM2936 for further information.  Additional Bibliography. [7-11] A collection of historic images of the site is held by the Historic England Archive. [12-14] The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5.  The roofspace was photographed in March 2016.  The west wing "Restoration Chamber" includes a fragmentary 17th Century frieze. The Ground floor "Court Room" includes an enterprising modern barrel ceiling and frieze in thin rib Elizabethan manner by David Duncombe.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <2> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Vol 54 part 1 (1908) photo 87-8 (Rev EH Bates).
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Rev. O.N.B. 1902, 18.
- <4> SMO1321 Photograph: Palmer, R.. 1965. ILLUSTRATION OF COMBE SYDENHAM MANOR HOUSE AT STOGUMBER. OS65/F64/4. B/W.
- <5> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Mid 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 4 May 1965.
- <6> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <7> SEM7229 Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791 (2006). The History and Antiquities of Somerset. Archive CD Books Ltd. Braikenridge, 3, 547-8, (1845).
- <8> SMO5318 Monograph: Delderfield, E.R.. 1968. West Country historic houses and their families. Volume 1 : Cornwall, Devon and West Somerset . David and Charles Limited. 1. 34-7.
- <9> SEM341218 Article in serial: Unknown. 1869. Second Day: Excursion. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 15. Part I, pp 6-22. Vol 15 (1869) part 1, p7.
- <10> SMO5316 Serial: Dunning, R. W. (editor). 1985. A History of the County of Somerset. Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research. 5. 181-2 illustration.
- <11> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 130-1.
- <12> SEM341216 Photograph: Unknown. 1900-1925. Coombe Sydenham Hall, taken from the east. Unknown. Unknown. Postcard.
- <13> SEM341215 Photograph: Lyte, H.C.M.. 1890-1910. A view from the north looking towards Combe Sydenham. Unknown. B/W. Print.
- <14> SEM341217 Photograph: Unknown. 1900-1925. Coombe Sydenham Hall, taken from the south. Unknown. Unknown. Postcard.
- <15> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <16> SEM8379 Report: Hardy, J.. 2015. Specification & methodology for maintenance re-roof to the south range of Combe Sydenham, Monksilver, Somerset.
- <17> SEM8320 Report: Hardy, J.. 2016. An Archaeological & Historical Perspective of The Main Roof to The South Range of Combe Sydenham Hall, Monksilver, Somerset, TA4 4JG, with a Survey & Photographic Report.
- <18> SEM8358 Monograph: Penoyre, J. and Penoyre, J.. 1994. Decorative plasterwork in the houses of Somerset 1500 - 1700: A regional survey. Somerset County Council. 80.
- <19> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 188313, Updated 25 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0761 3674 (33m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188313 (Original Monarch entry: 188313)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 375/5/158
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10539
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE3
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 188313
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30849
Record last edited
May 26 2022 11:02AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.