MSO8097 - World War Two observation post on Bossington Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
About 50 metres in front (southwest) of the tank gunnery range target track (MSO8096) is a large raised earthwork platform. It has a flat top which slopes slightly to the rear (uphill). A line of stone tumble is visible towards the rear. See MMO1496 and MSO8099 for similar platforms.  Concrete structures are visible on the top on 1946 aerial photographs.  The remains of an observation post lie on Bossington Hill, centred at SS 9100 4812. The features were surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The remains comprise a substantial earth and stone mound, 35by 20 by 6 metres high. The remains of a stone wall lie on the top of the mound. The remains of the entrance in the form of a metal door frame are just visible on the northern side of the mound. The observation post functioned as part of the World War Two tank training range, and is close to the target railway (MSO8096).  The observation post referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The post is defined by an earthen mound that is centred at SS 9100 4812 and which measures 30 metres by 21 metres. The post was part of the Second World War tank training activities recorded as MMO627. [2,4,5]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Chris Webster, Somerset SMR Officer, July 1998.
- <2> SSO364 Aerial photograph: July 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1655 4005 to 4013. 4012-4013.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley H 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 160-161 17-APR-1979.
- <5> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9101 4813 (47m by 47m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132289 (Original Monarch entry: 1132289)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO878
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12585
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW144
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132289
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35793
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.