MSO8094 - World War Two or modern mound at target railway B (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Centred at SS 92309 48464 is a stony mound 7.5 metres in diameter and 1 metre high. It contains mainly stone, some earth and a few pieces of brick. The mound is either a clearance dump from agricultural improvements or the result of a demolition phase at the end of World War Two.  The possible 20th Century mound is not visible aerial photographs taken before 1979 and therefore adds weight to the interpretation the mound is indeed the result of agricultural improvements or from the demolition of the Second Word War target railway (MSO8084). [2,3] Possibly the remains of dugout at east end of mover track on Range B. This moving target (MSO8084) has been systematically destroyed and removed after the closure of the range. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4011-4012 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 161-162 (17 April 1979).
- <4> SSO1284 Unassigned: James, Adrian. 7/6/2006. Staff comments.
|Grid reference||SS 92308 48464 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131108 (Original Monarch entry: 1131108)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO831
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12648
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW138
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167631
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131108
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35859
Record last edited
Aug 20 2018 4:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.