MSO8093 - Possible 20th Century stone mound north of target railway B (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A structure visible on 1993 APs at SS 9216 4867, is similar to MSO8088 and is probably another bunker.  Nothing is visible at this location on 1946 aerial photographs.  Centred at SS 92120 48702 is a stony mound with spreads of surface stone around. These are clearly modern stone dumps from agricultural improvement. The above description of an underground bunker in the area of the National Grid Reference could not be attested on the ground, and it may be that the stone heaps have been mistaken for a World War Two site.  The possible mound referred to above  is not visible on the available aerial photography and therefore adds weight to the interpretation of a modern clearance mound.  As well as a stone clearance heap it is possible that this could relate to the tank range and be one of several things: a) A stone dump for use in the construction of dugouts. b) The remains of the protective bank for a pull-up target that would have been operated by cable from a nearby dugout. c) The remains of a "mover hide". These were banks, behind which moving targets on sledges were hidden prior to being exposed to the tank gunners during battle practices. Some times these banks had pits behind them to further conceal targets. 
- <1> SSO405 Aerial photograph: 1993. SCC Geonex Run 3. 85.
- <2> SSO364 Aerial photograph: July 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1655 4005 to 4013.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998.
- <4> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP).
- <5> SSO1283 Unassigned: James, Adrian. 19/06/2006. Oral or staff comments.
|Grid reference||SS 92119 48702 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131105 (Original Monarch entry: 1131105)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167629 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167629)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO829
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12332
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW136
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167629
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131105
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35520
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.