MSO8092 - Medieval or post-medieval field system southwest of Henners Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 92042 48345 is a field system comprising a massive lynchet 1.8 metres high running west to east with a second field bank 0.6 mtres high running north to south from it. Both features are very spread by later agricultural improvements. They are presumably medieval or early post-medieval in date.  The medieval and / or post-medieval field system referred to above  is visible as slight earthworks on aerial photographs. The field banks are centred at SS 9207 4836 and comprise of a large bank orientated east to west which measures 345 metres long and 5 metres wide. The second bank extends 150 metres south from the larger one at SS 9204 4837 and measures about 5 metres wide. [2,3]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 161-162 (17 April 1979).
- <3>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #40034 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 92054 48299 (406m by 227m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131103 (Original Monarch entry: 1131103)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167624 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167624)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW135
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167624
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131103
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35856
Record last edited
Nov 2 2020 10:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.