MSO8089 - Probable modern clearance mound on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 91912 48216 is a rectangular stony mound measuring 13.1 m by 6.9 m and 0.5 m high. Although largely turf covered, it is clearly composed of small stones, and is best interpreted as a modern agricultural clearance dump.  The clearance mound referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The mound is centred at SS 9193 4822 and measures about 13m by 6m and is as described above. [2,3]
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 7 April 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 11-JUL-1946.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 161-162 17-APR-1979.
|Grid reference||SS 91911 48216 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131095 (Original Monarch entry: 1131095)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO824
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12643
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW131
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131095
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35854
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.