MSO8073 - Post-medieval fishpond at Blackford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A fish pond is noted on the six inch Ordnance Survey maps of 1938 and 1962. This feature is believed to be associated with the manorial complex at Blackford. [1, 2] This pond was associated with the manorial complex at Blackford which included a still extant dovecote (MSO8017) and a corn mill (MSO8072) although the manor house (MSO11590) has been destroyed.  A fishpond was visible on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey maps at SS 9238 4511. This was no longer seen on the 2014 MasterMap. The feature is unlabelled on the 1st Edition mapping. [4-7] The pond is shown on the Tithe Map for Selworthy occupying a much larger area. 
- <1> SEM7603 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1928-1938. 6 Inch Map: 1928-1938, 3rd Edition. 1:10560. 1938, 34NE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1962, 6" SS94NW.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 3 May 1984.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8093 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1933-1938. County Series, Third Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8>XY SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #46548 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9238 4511 (36m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119192 (Pastscape entry: 1119192)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11589
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW50
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119192
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33995
Record last edited
Nov 4 2020 3:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.