MSO8069 - Possible medieval or World War two rectangular enclosure west of Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Rectangular enclosure seen on false colour infra red aerial photographs. [1,2] The site was investigated as part of the RCHME Exmoor survey. No field remains were visible at the National Grid Reference given. The area is smothered with thick, tall gorse.  Nothing obvious on the ground in 1998. There are various patches of vegetation in the area which may form or indicate the 'enclosure'.  The rectangular enclosure referred to above [1-3] is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The enclosure is centred at SS 9146 4802 and encloses an area that measures 43 metres long by 30 metres wide. The enclosure is defined by a ditch measuring about 2.5 metres in width though northern side appears to be narrower. The enclosure is barely seen on photographs taken in 1946 as the area is obscured by tank tracks from training carried out here during the Second World War (MSO8096). The enclosure may be related to Second World War military activity but the earthwork seems to predate this and may be part of the medieval field system still extant further to the north recorded as MSO8075. [5-8] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO200 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1981. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 2624.
- <2> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9148.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, July 1998.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3015-3016 (11 July 1946).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/82/860 006-007 (23 February 1954).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/76047 230 (25 June 1976).
- <8>XY SMO7542 Archive: Dickson, A.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #40008 ]
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1119175, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9145 4802 (64m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119175 (Original Monarch entry: 1119175)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO690
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11600
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW44
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1119175
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34006
Record last edited
May 11 2022 4:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.