MSO8021 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Bossington Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 9084 4860 is a disturbed and partially overgrown cairn 0.7 metre high. Hollow in centre. Large amount of gorse growing up around it and on its slopes. Stones exposed in the centre. Rim mainly covered with heather. Associated with field system. (See GPs AO/65/181/1 and 2 [8-9]). Surveyed at 1:2500.  (SS 9084 4861) Cairn (NR).  SS 9084 4859. Minehead Without 1a. Robbed cairn 12 paces in diameter and 2 feet high.  A large cairn lies within the medieval/post-medieval field system on the northeastern side of Bossington Hill at SS 90827 48620. It was recorded using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The cairn comprises a circular stony mound, 12 metres in diameter and a maximum of 0.9 metres high. A central depression 4 metres by 1.5 metres exposes much stone. The cairn is sited on a gentle slope at the top of the steep coastal slope, overlooking the Bristol Channel.  The cairn is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 25 inch map of the area.  Scheduled on 03 September 2002.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in June2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3. 
- <1> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 21 July 1965.
- <2> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000.
- <3> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 9, 36.
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 23(14).
- <6> SSO1162 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 16/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council (16/9/2002) in HER files.
- <7> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 20.
- <8> SMO1447 Photograph: DISTURBED CAIRN AT SELWORTHY FROM NORTH EAST. OS65/F181/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <9> SMO1446 Photograph: DISTURBED CAIRN AT SELWORTHY FROM NORTH EAST. OS65/F181/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <10> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4013-4014 (11 July 1946).
- <12> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9048/1/222-223 (SF1459) (1 March 1979).
- <13> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9083 4862 (17m by 17m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36834 (Original Monarch entry: 36834)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167485 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167485)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO211
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11420
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW 23
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167485
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36834
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33794
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.