MSO7966 - Possible Bronze Age barrow site at James's Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"James's Barrow" is annotated on the 6 inch map of 1962.  The site is shown as "James's Burrow" on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey. No barrow is depicted. [2,3] The area is shown as part of a larger woodland on the Tithe Map for Porlock. It is labelled "785b", described in the Apportionment as "Shillett Wood" and owned and occupied by Francis Douglas.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS84NE. [Mapped feature: #40407 ]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1127251, Extant 10 February 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 861 456 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127251 (Original Monarch entry: 1127251)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11556
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1127251
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33953
Record last edited
Feb 10 2022 12:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.