MSO7883 - Chantry Cottage, The Drang, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 88664668) Chantry Cottage.  II No 1 Chantry Cottage II No 2 Chantry Cottage High Street.  14 A/2 Attributed to C. 12 ("Homeland" Guide), earliest exterior features - window and doorframe - appear to date from about C. 15, otherwise much altered. Creamwashed rendering, modern pantiles, eaves, end gables, tall square rendered end stacks on exposed chimney breasts corbelled out from 1st floor level. Two-storey, 1 window per cottage, later wood casements except one 2-light with wood mullions to ground floor of right-hand cottage N. end elevation of The Chantry shows single-light stone-framed window with cinquefoiled head and rectangular dripmould. This cottage has heavy chamfered oak doorframe with 4-centred arch, later 'stable' door. Interiors may be of interest.  The house wherein the priest resided is standing near the church, and is still called the chantry-house.  PORLOCK CP THE DRANG (East side) Chantry Cottage (formerly listed as 2 separate items Nos 1 and 2 High Street) GV II Chantry priest's dwelling, now cottage. Late C15, subsequently much altered. Rendered over rubble, double Roman tiled roof, stone stack right gable end, inserted rendered first floor external stack left gable end. Plan: 2 cell and cross passage with additions at rear. Two storeys, 2 bays; leaded C20 2-light casements, central chamfered 4-centred arch door frame, somewhat eroded with C20 stable-type door. Left return first floor stone lancet presumably to stair, cinquefoil headed single light window left, pantiled crosswing addition with outshot visible on right return. Interior not seen. This is believed to have been the dwelling of the priests attached to the Harington Chantry in St Dubricius Church (qv) Porlock, which was licenced in 1474. (Photograph in NMR). [5, 6] English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265464. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  2-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render walls. Gabled roof  Facing across the churchyard and fronting The Drang, probably a medieval path, is Chantry Cottage. This is rendered over rubble with a double-Roman tiled roof and dates from the late 15th century. It was formerly the priest’s dwelling attached to the Harington Chantry in the Parish Church, which it is recorded was licensed in 1474. The original plan was a two-cell building with cross-passage. The central chamfered fourcentre arched door-frame is undoubtedly early (probably 16th century) and there is a first floor stone lancet and cinquefoil-headed single-light window to the left. To the rear there is an added cross-wing with outshot under a pantiled roof.  The Harrington Memorial in the church is one of the finest of its kind - erected in memory of Lord and Lady Harrington. The first priest was appointed in 1476 and the chantry closed in 1546. The priest had to reside 'in a certain messuage, hard by the cemetery of the church'. The chaplains had to provide bread and cheese and ten gallons of good beer to be eaten and drunk in memoriy of the Lord and Lady after the anniversary service.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A survey of Chantry Cottage was completed by the SANHS Building Research Group (West Somerset and Exmoor) in 2015. Priests house of c 1470 to serve the Harrington Chantry of St Dubricius Church, includes history, description, plans, and photographs. Late medieval features recorded include front doorway, stone window with cinquefoil head, rear doorway, beams, jointed cruck roof timbers, fireplaces, later additions. 
- <1> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE(HHR) Williton RD, Somer (March 1962) 62.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE(HHR) Williton Rd Somer Corrigenda (23 January 1969).
- <4> SEM7229 Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791 (2006). The History and Antiquities of Somerset. Archive CD Books Ltd. Volume 2, 40.
- <5> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE(HHR) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somer (2 January 1986) 27.
- <6> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Chris Webster, Somerset HER, 28 November 2005.
- <8> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 31177.
- <9> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p13, 18.
- <10> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p93.
- <11> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <12> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 24, 56, 76.
- <13> SEM8287 Report: Richardson, I.. 2015. Chantry Cottage, The Drang, Porlock.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8865 4668 (10m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35873 (Original Monarch entry: 35873)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/24/51
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10684
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE17
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35873
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31177
Record last edited
Jan 8 2021 11:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.