MSO7775 - 19th Century icehouse at Glenthorne (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"Icehouse" is printed on the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division map of 1962 and the 1906 6 inch Ordnanace survey map. [1,2] The icehouse is presumably part of the estate belonging to Glenthorne House to the north.  The house was built in 1829-30. It was not investigated by the Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England Exmoor Survey.  The building is 19th Century in date. It is constructed from flat bedded local stone with a slate lintel. The building is set into hillside. The internal plan not certain but is said to be derived from design by Loudon in "Cottage and Villa Architecture", 1853. Listed primarily for historic interest as part of the Glenthorne estate.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 3A. The report advises that the icehouse is adjacent to a popular public footpath and is well visited, with partial access allowed. It is a good survival of a rare asset type and has social, historical and aesthetic value.  The icehouse is depicted and labelled as disused on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, SCPD, 17 April 1984.
- <4> SSO1868 Survey: RCHME. 1994. Exmoor survey.
- <5> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13. 17.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41076 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7998 4939 (3m by 3m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102236 (Pastscape entry: 1102236)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (3A): 1076/1/33
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10666
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11491
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102236
- Report Site Reference (SEM8598): GT18004
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33868
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31157
Record last edited
Dec 1 2020 2:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.