MSO7766 - Post-medieval corn mill at Mill Cleeve (Monument)

Summary

A mill leat has been infilled but is still traceable and is partially shown on historic mapping. A level platform about 6 metres square and adjacent to the leat may be the site of the mill building. The millstone has been used in a cottage nearby.

Please read the .

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

SS 815 461 A corn mill was situated at the south corner of a field called "Mill Cleeve" (named in deeds) near Mill Hill and another field called "Mill Cleeve". A dried up leat is visible to junction with Chalk Water. Two 2 feet diameter granite stones were taken from the site, one of which is built into the wall of the cottage. Visual evidence suggests an overshot wheel. [1] A series of irregular mounds and spoil heaps may be seen on aerial photographs. [2,3] The field called "Mill Cleeve" was not located or known locally, however, the mill leat now dry and infilled, is still traceable on the ground. From where it left the Chalk Water at SS 8148 4600 it runs northwards along the bottom of slopes parallel to and above the east side of a track, to about SS 8163 4629 where it peters out in disturbed ground in the field just south of Mill Barrow. The first 80 metres of this leat are shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1889 [4] however the remainder of the leat and the mill are not depicted which suggests they had long gone out of use by then. This leat appears to have been utilised to feed a sheep dip at SS 8157 4625. At SS 8153 4616 below and adjacent to the leat, is a level platform about 6 metres square. It has a short gulley running down to the stream from its west side. No stone work or foundations are visible however this may be the site of the mill; if so its position suggests it may have been an overshot wheel although there is no evidence of the wheel or its pit. One of the old granite millstones is built into the top of the south wall of "Poocks Cottage" at SS 8140 4636. Too high up to be measured it appears to be about 0.6 metres diameter. There is no trace or knowledge of the alleged second stone. Leat sketched on 1:2500, no further action. [5,6]

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, 30 November 1977, SIAS.
  • <2> Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . SCPD Apr 1972 HSL UK-72-49 Run 81, 0025.
  • <3> Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8146 SCPD.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 33(7).
  • <5> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1972. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. Sheet SS8146.
  • <6> Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 November 1995.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 8155 4613 (156m by 281m)
Map sheet SS84NW
Civil Parish OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (1)

Other Statuses/References

  • Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11498
  • National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW38
  • National Park
  • Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1107251
  • Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33875

Record last edited

Jan 25 2021 4:59PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.