MSO7763 - Post-medieval quarry north of Yenworthy Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A circular feature was noted on aerial photographs in 1985. Field investigation confirmed the existence of a roughly circular open-ended hollow, about 13 metres in diameter on a steep slope in a pasture field. There is nothing marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1890 and it is believed that this feature is a quarry. [1-4] A disused quarry with a spoil heap on the lower eastern side is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS80144871. [4,5] A small oval quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred at SS 8014 4870. The quarry measures approximately 23 metres in diameter. It is not shown on the First Edition Ordnance survey map ; however, a different quarry is visible at SS 8018 4862 and it is possible that the two have been confused. The spoil heap mentioned by the above authority is not visible. [6,7] The quarry described by RCHME, is probably the quarry noted by McDonnell, at SS 8020 4805 (MSO7770), and the description has been added to this record due to an error in recording the grid reference. 
- <2> SEM7407 Aerial photograph transcription: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Aerial Photograph Transcriptions of Sites in the Exmoor National Park (CRAAGS). 1:10560. SS8048C.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4036 (April 1947).
- <3> SSO1864 Survey: RCHME. Exmoor Survey. 1998, SS 84 NW 35.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Somerset 22(14), 33(2).
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 November 1995.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/853 4007 (29 August 1952).
- <7>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #42884 ]
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. F Glover, HER Officer, 16 March 2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8014 4870 (23m by 22m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1106991 (Pastscape entry: 1106991)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1107177 (Pastscape entry: 1107177)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO656
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12724
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1106991
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1107177
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33880
- Somerset SMR PRN: 57149
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.