MSO7738 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Culbone Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
[SS 8307 4734] Tumulus (NR)  SS 831 474. Round barrow, Culbone Hill. Scheduled.  Oare 4. A bowl barrow 12 paces across by 3 feet high; a carved stone came from it.  This is a bowl barrow 0.7 metres high. It is situated in a clearing within an extensive wood. 1/2500 survey revised. Correct Ref: SS 8305 4735.  SS 83057 47359 A round cairn visible as a turf covered stoney mound, 10 metres diameter and 0.8 metres high. It is situated in dense coniferous woods at the eastern end of a forestry ride on the summit ridge of Culbone Hill, about 414 metres above Ordnance Datum. The surface of the cairn has shallow hollows in the northeast and southwest quadrants, probably the result of robbing, but otherwise it appears intact.  Round barrow in clearing of old pine plantations. It is approximately 11 metres diameter and 0.9 metres high. No recent disturbance. Scheduled as AM 158b.  Vehicular access along the track means that the edges of the mound are being disturbed. Otherwise in good condition.  In private ownership.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  The cairn is clearly depicted on the 2018 MasterMap data and labelled "tumulus". 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <1>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46123 ]
- <2> SEM7805 Index: Ministry of Works. 1955. List of Ancient Monuments in England and Wales. P. 59 and Map references.
- <3> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 36.
- <4> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 13 July 1965.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8/11/95.
- <6> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 3 October 1986.
- <8> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <9> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8305 4736 (15m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35893 (Original Monarch entry: 35893)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11473
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35893
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33850
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.