MSO7729 - Malmsmead Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 79194772) Malmsmead Bridge (NAT)  Malmsmead Bridge, over the Badgworthy Water, is 17th century and has two round arches, each 8 feet 6 inches wide.  Scheduled.  The bridge is as described. See ground photographs.  No change.  12/5 Grade II Malmsmead Bridge. Graceful stone bridge on 2 semi-circular head arches, cutwater buttress each side, parapets. Ancient Monument.  Grade II Packhorse Bridge over Badgworthy Water, 17th to 18th century in date. Random rubble localstone. Two arch span, semi-circular headed arches, cutwater buttresses between on both sides, rubble voussoirs, hit and miss coping.  Malmsmead Bridge, centred at SS 79194772, as as described by the Department of Environment listing. It is still in use for road traffic, and there is a ford adjacent to it on the northern side.  Scheduled as Somerset County No. 35.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a score of 8.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 8.  The bridge is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO1953 Monograph: Thompson, W.H.. 1934. Somerset Regional Survey. P. 57.
- <3> SEM7745 Index: Ministry of Works. 1961. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. P. 84.
- <4> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Mid 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1 July 1965.
- <5> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. P Stevens, 29 January 1975.
- <6> SEM7743 Report: Depart of Environment. 1971. Ancient Monuments of England. P. 192.
- <7> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) Williton RD Somer Mar 1962 53.
- <8> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 25 November 1993.
- <10> SMO6033 Collection: Hesketh-Roberth, M.. 1996. MALMSMEAD BRIDGE, BRENDON.
- <11> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 20 July 1988.
- <12> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <13> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <14> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <15> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <16> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35099, Extant 2 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7918 4772 (16m by 12m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: 1995-1997: HBR - RCHME Architectural Division surveys (EMO8934)
- Event - Survey: 2012-3: SV - Listed Buildings Condition Survey (EEM14564)
- Event - Intervention: Field observation on SS 74 NE 1 (EMO882)
- Event - Intervention: Field observation on SS 74 NE 1 (EMO9644)
- Event - Intervention: RCHME Field Observation on SS 74 NE 1 (EMO13616)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35099 (Pastscape entry: 35099)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/1/38
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE/510
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12219
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1221
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20272
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10671
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11972
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 76737
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35099
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31162
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34586
Record last edited
Dec 2 2021 1:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.