MSO7713 - Wood Advent Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A house at Woodadvent is referred to as the manor house of Wood or Wood Advent manor in 1523. In 1616 it was described as a farm, it comprised a higher and lower hall, two entries, kitchen, buttery, six upper rooms and several outbuildings. The house and farm were rebuilt by Sir John Trevelyan (died in 1828).  Farmhouse. Circa 1820 on site of earlier dwelling. For Sir John Trevelyan. Rendered over rubble, double span slate roofs, gable ends slate hung, brick stacks gable ends. Double pile, lower single bay wings. 2 storeys, 3 bays; 12 pane sash windows, tripartite windows in segmental-headed openings in outer bays, central open pediment doorcase, 20th Century glazed door. Monopitch roofed, single bay, lower wings with blind niches, lit on returns. Interior not viewed. The house at Woodadvent is referred to as the Manor House in 1523 and a survey in 1619 shows it to have been quite extensive. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming).  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The building is labelled "Wood Advent Farm" on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM6902 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2003. Archaeological report on a desk assessment and watching brief at Oare Bridge, Oare, Somerset.
- <2> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 975208, Extant 1 November 2021.
- <5>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39772 ]
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0362 3737 (23m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=975208 (Original Monarch entry: 975208)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/41
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10504
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11953
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW47
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975208
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34559
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30739
Record last edited
Nov 1 2021 11:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.