MSO7700 - Enclosure south of Woodadvent Lane (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
ST 04403808. Crop-mark of sub-rectangular enclosure. (Note field name 'Castle Hill' to east, MSO7701).  The 1947 air photographs show the enclosure clearly. It is sub-rectangular and approximately 100m long and 50m wide. The remains of an outer feature are just discernible on this photograph.  Since then the field has been regularly ploughed and an aerial photographic transcription of the site is being undertaken. [3,4] The enclosure described above can be seen clearly on aerial photographs from 1962. The cropmark is visible as three distinct areas of growth - two darker areas surrounding a lighter area. The lighter area appears to be retarded crop growth, suggesting the presence of a bank surrounded by a ditch on both sides. The lighter crop measures up to 12 metres wide, while the darker area is no more than 5 metres wide at its widest point. A break in the cropmark on the western side may represent a possible entranceway. The enclosure is most likely to be prehistoric in date, probably belonging to the Later Prehistoric period, or more specifically, the Iron Age. It could be the remains of an enclosed settlement or hillslope enclosure, and further survey is required. The area is regularly ploughed.  Cropmark of sub-rectangular enclosure in field called Castle Hill.  Shows in cropmarks and soil marks. Part of a second larger enclosure appears rather doubtfully to surround the NE end of it.  Cropmark location wrongly plotted by OSAD on 6" map. 
- --- SEM7655 Unassigned: Potterell, A. L.. Air Survey Plotting Group.
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. APs (OS 71 502 078-9, 9/9/71).
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. , LHL CPE.UK.1980 4322. 04/1947, AP 1947 CPE/UK 1944 23/01/1947.
- <4> SEM6756 Report: Crutchley, S.. 2000. Woodadvent Lane Enclosure, Nettlecombe, Somerset.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/5159 (F22) 200-01 04-JUN-1962 RAF 58/5159 (F22) 2000-01. 04/06/1962.
- <6> SSO1765 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1972. ST03NW. 11.
- <7> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 0438.
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Dennison, E, Somerset County Council, 12.04.84,.
- <9> SSO200 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1981. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 4906 and 4948.
- <10> SMO7560 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 03 NW. MD002177.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0440 3807 (119m by 119m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188391 (Original Monarch entry: 188391)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO237
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11453
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188391
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33827
Record last edited
Apr 16 2013 4:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.