MSO7676 - World War Two observation post at Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An underground structure identified from 1949 aerial photographs possibly visible in 1993. See MMO627 for overall details.  Site obscured by thick gorse in 1998.  Centred at SS 92341 48323 is a World War Two observation post. It survives as a massive disturbed mound measuring 23 metres by 20 metres and 2.4 metres high very overgrown by dense gorse. On the northern side traces of a concrete structure are visible in the face of the mound, the remains suggest that the structure was about 9.8 metres long.  The observation post referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The post is defined by an earthen mound that is centred at SS 9235 4833 and which measures 30 metres by 24 metres. The post was part of the Second World War tank training activities recorded as MMO627. [4-6] This observation/target operating dugout was part of the target facilities for the Range B (MSO8084) and is associated with the firing circuit on Selworthy Beacon. 
- <1> SSO6 Aerial photograph: Geonex. 1993. Aerial photographs, Run 3. Geonex. Run 3. 85.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, July 1998.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4011-4012 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 161-162 (17 April 1979).
- <6>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #46805 ]
- <7> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Adrian James, 7 June 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 92354 48332 (52m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131099 (Original Monarch entry: 1131099)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167623 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167623)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO827
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12333
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW134
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167623
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131099
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35521
Record last edited
Nov 16 2020 1:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.