MSO7648 - Possible site of medieval Mene, north of West Myne (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Level terrace on the north slope of the coastal ridge immediately above the coastal slope. The rectangular area defined by a low bank enclosing an area approximately 100 metres by 40 metres. Within this the ground is irregular with some stone on the surface although no clear buildings are apparent.  It is one of the possible sites of Mene, the Domesday Manor (see also MSO7585, MSO7586 and MSO8022).  The area is used for rough grazing and several areas of small stones are visible together with one outcrop.  The possible Medieval settlement site referred to above [1-3] is visible as irregular earthworks on aerial photographs but no structures are visible and the earthworks could easily be natural. [4-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. I Burrow, Somerset County Council, 22 May 1979.
- <2> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5.
- <3> SSO2075 Unassigned: Webster, Chris. July 1998. Comments from SMRO. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, July 1998.
- <4> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4009 (11 July 1946).
- <6> SMO7542 Archive: Dickson, A.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1119230, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9303 4862 (157m by 119m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119230 (Original Monarch entry: 1119230)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167560 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167560)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO693
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11445
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW65
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167560
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1119230
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33819
Record last edited
May 11 2022 5:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.