MSO7619 - World War Two radar station Tx\Rx building at North Hill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Remains of stand-by set block for WWII radar station of CD/CHL type on North Hill. The transmitter / reciever block of a WWII radar station lies near Moor Wood at SS 95396 47716. The building was surveyed as part of the RCHME survey of the ENPA holding on North Hill. A large, roofed building of shuttered concrete, 12 x 5m externally. The building is terraced into the hillside to a max depth of 1.6m on the south side. The concrete base contains a drip gully and the building is approached by a flight of steps. Parts of the metal door frame and door survives. A further doorway in the east side has half its metal door and frame in situ. A total of 8 small apertures occur on all sides and four buttresses are sited on the north and south walls (two on each). Each has an arrangement of metal bolts on the roof. Two small concrete pads with anchoring rings lie to the west of the building. This was the transmitter\receiver block for the radar station, the aerials were mounted on the roof.  SS 9540 4770 A Second World War radar station operations block, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946 and 1947. Located on Minehead's North Hill, 310 metres southwest of Greenaleigh Farm and immediately west of the path leading from Hill Road north towards the farm, the rectangular flat roofed concrete structure is part of a Coastal Defence/Chain Home Low (CD/CHL) radar station. It is a standard design for the CD/CHL operations block, being 12 metres long (east-west) by 5 metres wide (north-south). A pair of buttresses are sited on the north and on the south walls. The south facing side of the building seems to have been cut into the hillside. When operational, the building would have supported a 10 foot high metal gantry which would have mounted the radar array. The structure was still visible in 1993. [2-6] A survey was commissioned by the Exmoor National Park Authority and undertaken by AC Archaeology to complement conservation works and repairs to the building. Works included re-laying of the asphalt roof, replacement of missing doors and window shutters, and tree clearance. The structure was constructed to a standard design, though some differences have been noted, such as the lack of a viewing step. Due to the similarities between buildings of this type, a suggested layout of the station has been provided.  RADAR STATION. SRF with photograph and sketch plan. SRF with sketch plan of flat concrete area behind Radar Station. Recorder - K.W. Astell.  The radar station was digitally reconstructed as part of the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Survey in 2015. [11,12] The station building is marked on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4004-4005 11-JUL-1946.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4025 11-APR-1947.
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9447/1/187 (SF1459) 01-MAR-1979.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR/OS 93297 038-039 16-AUG-1993.
- <6> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 95479 (21106/05) 09-FEB-2001.
- <7> SMO7333 Website: Various. Various. World Wide Web page. Subterranea Brittanica http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/m/margam/index.shtml.
- <8> SEM8021 Report: Passmore, A.. 2013. North Hill, Minehead: Results of historic building recording.
- <9> SMO7538 Digital archive: 2002. Defence of Britain. DEB01. uid 46.
- <10> SEM8580 Monograph: Wilcox, D.. 2014. Army Radar: The story of its development and employment in World War II. Reveille Press.
- <11> SEM8588 Artwork: Lorimer, P.. 2015. Radar Station building plan at North Hill, Exmoor: Digital reconstruction drawing.
- <12> SEM8587 Artwork: Lorimer, P.. 2015. Radar Station building at North Hill, Exmoor: Digital reconstruction drawing.
- <13>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39985 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 95397 47716 (12m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102209 (Original Monarch entry: 1102209)
- Defence of Britain Database UID: 46
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO630
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12473
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE244 Migrated Defence of Britain Project database
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE61
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102209
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1411329 Migrated Defence of Britain Project database
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35674
Record last edited
Jul 9 2019 11:12AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.