MMO1488 - Possible radar station stand-by-set house at North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 9541 4768 A Second World War chain home radar generator house, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946 and 1947. Located on Minehead's North Hill, 325 metres southwest of Greenaleigh Farm and immediately east of the path leading from Hill Road north towards the farm, the flat roofed concrete structure is part of a Coastal Defence/Chain Home Low (CD/CHL) radar station and likely to have housed the power generator for the operations block located 35 metres to the northnorthwest (MSO7619). The building is T shaped, the top of the T at the northern end likely to have contained two blast doors. It is about 8.8 metres long north to south and 4.7 metres wide east to west, the top of the T being 6.4 metres wide. A smaller 2.4 metres square structure, of unknown construction and function, is located immediately adjacent to the east of this building. Both structures were no longer visible in 1950. [1-4] The RCHME survey located metal and concrete rubble here, which appeared to fill a deep hole. They suggested the rubble came from MMO632.  This would appear to fit the form of the Coast Defence\Chain Home Low Stand-by-Set house. 
- <1> SSO366 Aerial photograph: 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1665 4005.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4025 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 541/544 3004-3005 (1 June 1950).
- <4> SMO7333 Website: Various. Various. World Wide Web page. Margam, Swansea Bay CHL station - http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/m/margam/index.shtml.
- <5>XY SMO7543 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NE. MD000134. [Mapped feature: #35160 ]
- <6> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. p12, 13, 27.
- <7> SSO1298 Monograph: Brown, I., Burridge, D., Clarke, D., Guy, J., Hellis, J., Lowry, B., Ruckley, N. and Thomas, R.. 1999. 20th Century Defences in Britain: An introductory guide. Council for British Archaeology. 2nd Edition. Fig 17.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9541 4768 (11m by 10m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1454870 (Original Monarch entry: 1454870)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12496
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE172
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1454870
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35697
Record last edited
Jul 10 2019 11:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.