MSO7617 - Possible late prehistoric hut circle at Burgundy Chapel Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 94803 47787 is an amorphous platform. It lies on steep north facing slopes immediately adjacent to and on the eastern side of a modern path. It is subcircular in shape and is 4.8 metres across. It is cut into the hillside by 0.4 metres on the upslope side. There is no surface stone visible on the platform. The platform is of uncertain date and function, but may be a prehistoric hut stance. Found and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of the RCHME survey of the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The platform referred to above [1-2] is not visible on the available aerial photography. [3,4]
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997. [Mapped feature: #46824 ]
- <3> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP). Amanda Dickson, 8 May 2007.
- <4> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||SS 94803 47787 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102202 (Original Monarch entry: 1102202)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO628
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12431
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW86
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102202
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35631
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.