MSO7611 - Woodcombe Higher Reservoir (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A building is depicted on the most recent Ordnance Survey 1:2500 mapping at SS 9490 4745. At this National Grid Reference is a building platform. It is now overgrown and difficult to identify, but has an overall length of 17 metres. Recorded as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] A post-medieval building platform is visible as a rectangular platform at the head of Woodcombe. The platform measures approximately 17 metres in length by 4 metres wide and is orientated northwest to southeast. [3-5] The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey depicts a slight earthwork (possibly a platform) in this location.  No feature is recorded here on the Minehead Tithe Map.  A rectangular area is shown here as partitioned off on the 2020 MasterMap data.  "Woodcombe Higher Reservoir" is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1929 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The reservoir is also depicted and labelled on the 6 inch 1904 2nd Edition map. 
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3009-3010 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-79013 164-165 (17 April 1979).
- <5> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SSO300 Map: 1843. Minehead Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <8>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39997 ]
- <9> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <10> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1904.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9491 4744 (25m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102301 (Original Monarch entry: 1102301)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO647
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12437
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW98
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102301
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35637
Record last edited
Nov 25 2020 9:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.