MSO7582 - Neolithic and Bronze Age Implements found near Selworthy Beacon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Mr. Wedlake has in his collection a stone rubber (unclassified) found at 'Z' - SS 91784797; a large number of flint flakes found in the area centred SS 924 479; and several Neolithic and Bronze Age arrowheads found within an area centred at SS 9298 4780. These finds were made between 1942 and 1945 when the area was used as a tank training ground. [1,2] The area indicated is open heathland. A Neolithic scraper was found on broken ground during investigation.  Mesolithic and Neolithic scrapers and worked flints. Most in Cornish collection at Taunton museum. 
- <1>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. AL Wedlake, Watchet. [Mapped features: #44738 Location of stone rubber, ; #44739 Flint flake collection, ; #44740 Location of several Neolithic and Bronze Age arrowheads, ]
- <2> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 20 June 1965.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 22 July 1965.
- <4> SSO310 Unpublished document: National Trust notes. PRN 33798.
- <5> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. P. 21.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 923 478 (1200m by 170m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36829 (Pastscape entry: 36829)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11424
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36829
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33798
Record last edited
Nov 25 2020 2:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.