MSO7579 - Late prehistoric flint scatter at North Hill (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Microliths and implements of Mesolithic character found at North Hill, but no concentration has been located.  Flint implements from North Hill are in the County Museum, Taunton.  The moorland area of North Hill Minehead is in an extensive tract centred at SS 9448. Taunton Museum has Neolithic knives, scrapers, gravers and arrowheads and scrapers classified as Mesolithic donated at various periods and simply described as from North Hill.  Mesolithic microlith from North Hill, Minehead listed. In Taunton Museum, excavated by AV Cornish (Wymer's National Grid Reference for North Hill is wrong).  Additional bibliography. [5-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7086 Monograph: Rankine, W.F.. 1956. The Mesolithic of Southern England, Research Papers of the Surrey Archaeological Society Surrey Archaeological Society. Surrey Archaeological Society. 4. 44.
- <2> SEM341095 Article in serial: Anonymous. 1952. Additions to the Museum From 27 June, 1951 to 31 December, 1952. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 97. Part I, pp 32-37.
- <3>XY SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 28 July 1965. [Mapped feature: #30282 ]
- <4> SMO5219 Monograph: Wymer, J.J. + Bonsall, C.J. (Editors). 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic Sites in England and Wales, with a Gazetteer of Upper Palaeolithic Sites in England and Wales. Council for British Archaeology. CBA Research Report No 20. 246.
- <5> SMO5124 Serial: The Prehistoric Society. 1935 -. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 36 (1970), 111 (S Palmer).
- <6> SSO28 Article in serial: Anonymous. 1931. Exhibition at Reception. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 77. Part I, p xlv. p xlv.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36809, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 94 48 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- GRAVER (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- KNIFE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36809 (Original Monarch entry: 36809)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167467 (National Trust HER Record: MNA167467)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW16
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167467
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36809
Record last edited
May 11 2022 11:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.