MSO7514 - Post-medieval water meadow north of Luxborough (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a water meadow system associated with the deserted Medieval farmstead of Washers which were seen centred at SS 9699 3720. The remains consist of a number of parallel ditches running along the hillside. To the southeast are further remains of the same water meadow system. The remains were seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. [1,2] It is not clear whether this record relates to a water meadow associated with the deserted medieval farmstead of Washers (centred at SS 9699 3720) or Monkham (MSO7494, centred at SS 9745 3813). The record is associated with SS 93 NE127, which relates to Monarch entry 1166938 but which is mapped on Pastscape at SS 97388 38136 (MMO809), which is not the same grid reference supplied in the text of the source . Chris Webster advised on the Somerset entry PRN 13951 that the National Monuments Record referred to this entry as SS 93 NE127 (under MSO7468) but that this NMR reference is actually located at Somerset's record site of 33489.  This latter Somerset reference actually refers to MSO9212 or MSO7395, Kit Barrows. Further investigation is required. The record had also been associated with MSO7599, which was clearly an error. This relationship has therefore been removed. A more recent review of the Monument data on Pastscape shows that the site is still said to be at Washers, at SS 9699 3720, but is shown to be located at SS 97388 38136, which coincides with the GIS NMP mapping received in 2016. The grid reference SS 9699 3720 actually relates to a water meadow system at Newcombe Farm, recorded as MMO809. There is a Washer's Farmhouse recorded on Somerset HER as PRN 40199, at ST 1154 2865. [5-7]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944/4146 23-JAN-1947.
- <2> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <3> SSO2060 Unassigned: Webster, Chris Somerset Historic Environment Record. 31/1/2006. Staff comments.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove 21/02/2013.
- <5> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. Reference 1166938.
- <6> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 40199.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 2 July 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9738 3813 (278m by 215m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1166938 (Original Monarch entry: 1166938)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1189
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10108
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE127
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1166938
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13951
Record last edited
Jul 2 2018 4:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.