MSO7489 - Post-medieval field system on Monkslade Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Banks forming the remains of a field system on Monkslade Common appear on aerial photographs. It appears to have been ploughed. [1-4] The earthwork remains of a fragmented post medieval field system Monkslade Common and the edge of Rodhuish Common comprising rectilinear bank defined fields with traces of cultivation marks within the fields. To the west centred at SS 992 392 are the remains of banks which may be part of the same field system which have been recorded separately as SS93NE 133. The field system was seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. [5,6]
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3287, 3288.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-177 99/8806 (September 1971).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SF 1459/186 (April 1979).
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. SS9939D, ST0039.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF F26/543/2821/135-6 27-APR-1964.
- <6>XY SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE. [Mapped feature: #39691 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 997 390 (604m by 670m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128217 (Original Monarch entry: 1128217)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO807
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11410
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE72
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128217
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33766
Record last edited
Jan 28 2020 2:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.