MSO7481 - Lime Kiln Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
Extensive quarry and excavation to the south of main quarry. There is a limekiln at SS96593884. The quarry was closed in the early 1920s.  The waterwheel is situated beside the kiln at SS96533888 and was used to haul tubs up incline (still partly visible). The wheel pit and pond still extant. The waterwheel has an overshot wheel 15 feet by 30 feet, reputedly made by Hawke's of Taunton. It was fed by leat from a small stream around the side of pit to a small head pond. The waterwheel was still in use in 1932.  The nearby lane is called "Kiln Lane" on the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division 6 inch map.  The kiln is in fairly good condition, although vegetation is beginning to threaten the masonry structure. To the south is a slight depression which may mark the site of an earlier kiln. On the north side of the kiln is a wheel pit, which formerly housed a 15 foot overshot wheel. The bearing mountings survive as do parts of the laundering. The wheel was used to power a single track incline from the quarry.  The Kiln is 3.8 metres in diameter and 5 metres high. The waterwheel has a width of 0.9 metres and a diameter of 4.3 metres. The sides of the wheel pit remain at their original height and the pit contains the remains of the timber baulks which supported the axle. Other significant artifacts found during field investigate were metal sleepers and the winch handle. The Luxborough Tithe map of 1843 shows a circular kiln in a plot refered to as 'Lime Kiln Quarry'. The kiln on the 1902 Ordnanace Survey map is not in the location of the current kiln but further east in the location of the possible older kiln. The 1902 map also shows a range of building to the north-west,but there is no remaining evidence of these. In the 1840's the kiln was operated for and by Nurcott Farm, however by the late 1870's the lime was being produced for use across the estate. By the late 1930's the quarry site was abandoned. The machinery was recovered for scrap during the Second World War. The combination of a kiln and waterwheel located so close together may be virtually unique. 
- <1> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. P. 19.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Warren, D. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. 06/12/1977.
- <3> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <4> SEM7080 Report: Holley, S.. 1997. An Investigation of Limekilns on Exmoor for the Purposes of Conservation.
- <5> SEM7813 Article in serial: Daniel, P.. 2011. A Limekiln at Nurcott, Luxborough. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society Bulletin. 118. P. 6-17.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9656 3882 (141m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128122 (Original Monarch entry: 1128122)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11398
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE64
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128122
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33754
Record last edited
Jul 18 2018 11:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.