MSO7474 - Will / Well farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A smallholding variously called Will, Well and Willis is recorded from the 16th Century. Free tenants in the 16th Century were lords of the manor of Luxborough Eve. From at least 1767 a farm here was worked by another shall holding and from 1809 by Nurcott which bought the property in 1923.  Not mentioned in Aston's list.  There is still a group of buildings here shown on the 1980 Ordnance survey map.  The Tithe Map shows a group of three buildings within this location. 
- <1> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13.
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 6" 1962.
- <3> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10000 1980.
- <5> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9660 3950 (89m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128072 (Original Monarch entry: 1128072)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11385
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE57
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128072
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33741
Record last edited
Sep 10 2020 8:14AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.