MSO7457 - North Colly Hill Farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
As part of a parish survey Mr Williams has drawn attention to a deserted farm site at North Colly Hill, SS 965 368. (North Collyhill Farm shown as extant buildings on Ordnance Survey 6 inch 1891 at SS 9655 3688).  SS 9648 3686. Deserted farmstead of North Colly Hill (and/or South Colly Hill - see MSO7458) indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy by the entry of Robert de Goleheye(?). A house and farm buildings are shown on the 1843 Tithe Map. [2,3] A group of derelict barns remain but the house, to the east, has been demolished and only traces of its foundations are left. Most of the field and the farm walls have been cleared. The site was approached by a trackway from the north. (M Aston, fieldwork 2 May 1976)  From 1789 at least it was joined with South Colly Hill and the boundary between them cannot now be identified. The house and buildings, now no more than ruins, were occupied until at least 1871. Both North and South Colly Hill Farms included 179 acres of rough pasture on Kennisham Hill.  SS 96483686. Former farm of North Colly Hill, mentioned in 1506-56.  Earthworks seen on aerial photographs. [9-10]
- <1> SSO746 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 121. 117.
- <2> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. 247.
- <3> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Luxborough Eve Court Book 1506-56 (SRO DD/X/W15 c/2768).
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. 1871 Census Returns.
- <7> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13.
- <8> SSO182 Collection: DD.X.WIS C.2768.
- <9> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9636.
- <10> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4336.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9651 3688 (149m by 105m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36643 (Original Monarch entry: 36643)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11373
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE22
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36643
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33729
Record last edited
Aug 25 2017 11:18AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.