MSO7427 - Modern mound to northeast of Joaney How (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The SMR for Somerset records a small mound, 5 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high at SS 9092 4280. The area was investigated as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. Many such mounds are scattered over Dunkery Hill and this mound is unlikely to be a prehistoric burial cairn. It is more likely to be associated with more recent activity on the hill. [1,2] Small mound discovered in 1978, 103 metres east of Joaney How barrow. Possible barrow.  Included in revised scheduling on 23 April 2003.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1997.
- <2> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR Site SS 94 SW 36.
- <3> SSO308 Unassigned: July 1976. National Trust record form (July 1976) in HER files.
- <4> SSO1122 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 13/5/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <5> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9091 4280 (16m by 16m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086535 (Pastscape entry: 1086535)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11339
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW36
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086535
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33695
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 2:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.